Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Gotta Loosen Up!

All over blogland, the quilters are making wonky blocks, wonky houses and trees, and lots more. Looks like fun, right? And I giggled when Annie said it was really hard to do "wonky". . .

I'm not giggling any more, Annie!  I agree with you now!

I'm struggling with loosening up and letting things be wonky, too. I'm trying to create an "artsy" kind of quilted piece, for a guest post over at Jackie's.

Here is what I started with:


Why is it so hard to do this?  I had to try over and over to get lines that were not matchy-matchy. To get corners that didn't line up. To be wonky.

Unlike the blocks for my quilts on the virtual design wall, these scraps were not cooperating with me!

Moses Kitty was watching intently as I got more and more exasperated. Even my patient Brother machine was glaring at me as I tried to put right sides together, but have one side hanging out further than the other! This is difficult!

After a fair amount of trial and error, uh, cursing, um, becoming re-acquainted with my trusty seam ripper, this is what I got:


It's not very wonky, is it? Ya think it could be called artsy? Hmmmm . . .
That's the only peek you get, until I show it when I guest post!!

I'm linking up today with Katherine's Corner and The Cottage Market for the Thursday Favorite Things linky party, and with Marcia's Minutes for Me linky party, too! Stop by and see all the creative things happening at these blogs!
I'm also linking up with Sunni, at Love Affair with my Brother, for the "This Week" linky party! Fun!
Love,

15 comments:

  1. I can understand. I did an improv piecing block similiar to what your working on during the Block party at Sew We Quilt. That block frustrated me completely! I have tried a few Wonky (star, log cabin, and triangles) they weren't too bad, little different technique than the improv. GOOD LUCK and KEEP TRYING :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to the guest post!!! sending hugs from the cottage market :) your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried one; but we are programmed to match points....so I can only imagine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the term wonky...and that it means I don't have to be perfect. =) I've seen a number of beautiful pieces using that method. I'm sure you'll get the hang of 'letting go' shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, looks kinda hard to me! Good luck with it and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hopping over from Katherine's Corner and have to say I am excited I did! You have a great blog and I had never heard of Wonky quilting. I wish I had. I gave up on even trying to quilt becuase everything I did was "wonky!" I may just have to give it a try!

    Thanks for sharing and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you; and the longer you've been trying to do 'precise' sewing, the harder it is to just let go and have fun with it. I did a project like this out of a book years ago, Cut-Loose Quilts by Jan Mullen. It was fun and a great exercise and fun, but I picked the simplest design, the rail fence. My next attempt at free-style and wonky is going to be applique. Piece O Cake Designs has a great book on this that I've checked out of the library many times already! Have fun!
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your improve block is coming along great. It is hard, sometimes, to just let go of all those voices in you head that tell you everything has to be perfect. Just tell them that you will meet their needs by making sure the pressing is well done, and that you will pay attention to color and value placement. Maybe they will be more cooperative when they know you aren't completely ignoring them.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so cute!!!! I think wonky is really difficult. I can't do wonky LOL...unless wonky is when seams that are supposed to match up don't !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think my wonky stuff is less wonky than my non wonky stuff...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're a wonky master! Will look forward to seeing your project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the wonky look of it! xo Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things hop today

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stopped by from Katherine's hop and followed you. I love quilts, i love fabric, oh I must start sewing again. Hope you follow back!
    http://createabeautifullife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I struggle with wonky too - but I have to tell you that I have fallen in love with the ease of wonky stars. They come together so quickly and look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonky is trés facile! I do wonky big time! Hope over to my blog and follow the Liberated Quilters web ring link. Also look at http://unrulyquilting.blogspot.com. Lot of inspiration and Tonya is the original wonky quilter.

    The art is not to think about it too hard.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)